[NCHS-Announce] Next Scheduled Program Meeting is Sun., Sep. 16th

Den Collins, Webmaster nchs at nassaucountyhistoricalsociety.org
Wed Aug 22 07:49:13 EDT 2018

Weathervane designed by Architect Olive Tjaden
Sunday, September 16, 2018, 2:00 p.m.
“Architect Olive Tjaden: Designing Suburbia in Garden City and Beyond”
Millicent D. Vollono and Lauren V. Drapala, authors
Garden City Senior Center

Olive Tjaden (1904-1997) began her architectural career at a time when residential architecture was at the nation’s forefront. Graduating from Cornell University’s architecture program in 1925, Tjaden was the only female member of the American Institute of Architects for years. Although she achieved her greatest success as a residential designer, she created buildings for automobile dealerships, beauty salons, and religious organizations. Forming her own firm in the late 1920s in Garden City, Tjaden was able to promote her unique status as a female architect to promote her work and expertise to women, making use of the networks provided by women’s social clubs. Tjaden was a prolific designer, building over 2,000 commissions in the twenty years of her New York office and later in South Florida. Our speakers are the authors of an article on Tjaden in the 2016 Nassau County Historical Society Journal, v.71, pp.1-14. Their illustrated presentation will include additional information from their continuing research. We will celebrate Olive Tjaden’s life and career, with special emphasis on her many Garden City houses, as we uncover one of Long Island's little-known treasures.

Directions: This joint program with the Garden City Historical Society will be held in the Garden City Senior Center, 6 Golf Club Lane (click link for map) <https://goo.gl/maps/FGHcMbUDxiP2>, NW corner of Golf Club Lane and Eleventh St., across the street from Olive Tjaden’s own house. After the program, we will go next door to the Garden City Historical Society’s Apostle House Museum, for refreshments and a tour of their museum.

Save the date for:
Sunday, October 21, 2018, 12:00 p.m.
Annual Luncheon
Hendrick’s, Roslyn

Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> Shoppers:

Support the Nassau County Historical Society when you shop at Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/>. Just go to Smile.Amazon.com <https://smile.amazon.com/> and select Nassau County Historical Society, Inc. as the recipient. At no cost to you, Amazon Smile Foundation will donate 0.5% of your purchase price to the Society.