[NCHS-Announce] Virtual Webinar Program September 19th

nchs at nassaucountyhistoricalsociety.org nchs at nassaucountyhistoricalsociety.org
Thu Sep 2 19:22:22 EDT 2021

The next NCHS virtual program:

Sunday, September 19, 2021, 2:00 p.m.
"Long Island Dirt:
Recovering our Buried
Past through Historical Archaeologies"
Allison McGovern

In this presentation, Dr. McGovern will discuss how archaeology has
contributed to documenting Long Island's ancient Native American past.
Referencing data from archaeological investigations on eastern Long
Island, she will discuss how Native American artifacts have been
collected by amateur and professional archaeologists through time, and
how the process of collecting has framed the general public's
understanding of indigenous histories on Long Island.

Dr. Allison McGovern is a professional archaeologist with Richard Grubb
and Associates and a Gardiner Writing Fellow at the Gotham Center for
New York City History. She integrates archaeology with historic research
methods in her preservation work.

The webinar is free and open to the general public. Although attendance
at this virtual meeting is free, we are still asking people to register
so that we can get a good estimate of the number of attendees. Register
in advance for this webinar by clicking here [1], or by copying this
link into your browser:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KfZcCdqGRtWjOAQmY-Uf8g

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the webinar.

Links:
------
[1] https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KfZcCdqGRtWjOAQmY-Uf8g